Friday, October 26, 2007

Glow-in-the-dark Funkins

So I'm not an obsessive Martha fan or anything, but the show came on when the TiVo shut off, and I found myself totally intrigued by these pumpkins! They take me back to my GenX college days! The best part is, if you use foam pumpkins, you can keep them for years. I think I might even have a black light still floating around the garage somewhere...
3031_102607_funkins.jpg

This glow-in-the-dark craft is a perfect way to decorate your house, porch, and windows with glowing pumpkins for Halloween.

Tools and Materials
Funkin (foam pumpkin)
2-inch-wide vinyl tape
Pencil
Scissors
Spray adhesive
Box (large enough to fit funkin)
Mask
Glow-in-the-dark powder
Cookie sheet
Krylon
Fluorescent black light

Glow-in-the-Dark Funkins How-To
1. Cut strips of 2-inch-wide vinyl tape; place strips of tape down on a nonstick surface. Draw face on tape and cut out to create a face sticker. Stick face on pumpkin.

2. Place pumpkin in box; coat with spray adhesive. Remove pumpkin from box and place on cookie sheet. Put glow-in-the-dark powder all over pumpkin. Let dry for about 10 minutes. Repeat the process once more.

3. Spray clear coat of krylon on pumpkin. Let dry for 20 minutes. Peel off sticker face. Add fluorescent black light next to pumpkin to intensify the glow.

Resources
Glow-in-the-dark powder can be found at stevespanglerscience.com.

blog it

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lynda...
I just looked at the Joann Fabric store ad and their Funkins are 60% off...today is the last day of the sale!

:) Erika