Saturday, September 22, 2007

Preschool Virgin

Yesterday marked a most momentous occasion in my almost-three year journey of motherhood: my son's first day of preschool. I find that as much as I want him to learn and grow and discover, I don't want to let him go. I want him to always hold my hand as he crosses the street or twirl his hair as he sucks his thumb. I want Baby Teddy to always have to get a nametag when he gets one; I want to hear "Hold me, Mommy," every day for the rest of my life. I strive to etch these moments onto my heart so they are always reachable when I drag out the family photo album and study his face that has already changed so much. For these are the days that are the hardest part of watching our children grow up: watching him go, watching him venture forth into the world of Play-Doh and play scissors, and knowing that the saddest moments are yet to come.

3 comments:

Sairs said...

I totally understand your feelings. I have seen two little boys go to preschool, and one has now graduated on to 1st grade. It is hard to hear of kids pushing him on the playground and the like. Its not as easy as when in playgroup when you can stop something as it is happening. And yet, these are the events that will form his strengths and weaknesses. We cannot protect them from everything, and it begins at such a young age to do just what you said, "watch him go". Now, I sit here watching my 9 month old pulling out big brothers' toys and think..."not so fast baby"...and before I know it he'll be one...then two... then....

MaryRose Lovgren said...

I, too, and the mommy of two boys, and my oldest just turned five. Five?! When did he become a boy? Oh, it is so bittersweet-- I thought I would love to see them get older and more independent, but now I am feeling left behind...

MaryRose Lovgren said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.